Cholera contained: Kunene Director of Health
23 Apr 2014 16:10pm
OPUWO, 23 APR (NAMPA) The Kunene region is now free of cholera, although some patients with cholera-like symptoms are still being reported in the Opuwo health district.
This was said by the Director of Health in the Kunene Region, Thomas Shapumba, when approached by Nampa on Wednesday.
He said cholera in his region was contained in February this year already, as no confirmed cases of the disease have been recorded since then.
The last case of suspected cholera in the region was reported in Opuwo on 06 April this year, but tests conducted confirmed that it was not cholera.
A joint report issued on 21 February this year by the Ministry of Health and Social Services, the World Health Organisation and the United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef) announced the containment of the cholera outbreak in the five regions of Kunene, Omusati, Oshana, Ohangwena and Khomas.
This outbreak started in late 2013, and by November that year, a total of 554 cases of cholera had been reported countrywide, with 18 people having lost their lives to the disease.
At least 493 cases were recorded in the Opuwo District in north-western Kunene by November 2013.