20 Feb 2014 14:50pm
SHAMUNGWA, 20 FEB (NAMPA) The Ministry of Lands and Resettlement is still consulting the relevant authorities on the removal of a fence illegally erected by Trade and Industry Deputy Minister Tjekero Tweya in the Kavango Region.
The matter was referred to the ministry by the Kavango Communal Land Board over six months ago.
The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Lands and Resettlement, Lidwina Shapwa told Nampa on Thursday that the ministry is still consulting the relevant authorities to ensure that the matter is resolved amicably.
She could, however, not say which authorities are being consulted.
Shapwa said the illegal fencing issue should take less than three months to resolve.
A tender for the removal of the fence erected in the Kavango East Regions Mukwe Constituency by Tweya was put on hold in September last year by the Hambukushu Traditional Authority, which disputed the removal of the fence.
This is despite the fact that a successful tenderer was already selected and given an award letter to commence work.
The Hambukushu Traditional Authority claims it has procedurally given consent for Tweya to occupy the area.
Two tenders for the removal of fences belonging to Tweya and Johannes Ihemba, the nephew of Ukwangali Traditional Authority Chief Sitentu Mpasi, were advertised in March last year by the Ministry of Lands and Resettlement.
The Ukwangali Traditional Authority also claims that Ihemba obtained the land legally.
Tweya fenced-off land in the Shamungwa village, while Ihemba fenced-off land at the Mutambo village in Kavango West.
The two were supposed to remove the illegal fences before 28 February last year, but failed to do so.
Kavango Communal Land Board chairperson Johannes Karondo earlier confirmed to this news agency that the two tenders were put on hold because the Hambukushu and Ukwangali Traditional Authorities had different views regarding the removal of the fences, prompting them to refer the matter to the Ministry of Lands and Resettlement for further consideration.
Ndinoveshi Construction Company, which was supposed to remove the fence erected by Tweya, was prevented from doing so by the Hambukushu Traditional Authority just as they were about to remove it.
The tender to remove the fence erected by Ihemba was awarded to Likuva Construction Company.
Meanwhile, Ihemba already appeared in the Kahenge District Magistrates Court in July last year on charges of illegal fencing, and his case is still ongoing in that court.
The accused is out on a warning, and is being represented by lawyer Sisa Namandje.
Tweya still has not received any summons to appear in the Rundu Magistrates Court as the police want to subpoena him personally, but until now they have failed to do so.