03 Jun 2013 09:40
RUNDU, 03 JUN (NAMPA) ? People who reside on the outskirts of Rundu and who were previously excluded from drought relief food, will now receive food aid.
Registration for the comprehensive drought relief aid is currently underway in most parts of the Kavango Region, where close to 200 000 people are said to be affected by drought.
Residents in the town?s informal settlements on the outskirts of Rundu were excluded from receiving drought relief aid because they were residing within the Local Authority, and were thus apparently not entitled to food aid.
This resulted in an outcry, as most residents complained that while they resided within the town?s boundaries, they also have mahangu fields and should thus also qualify for food aid as they did not harvest anything this year.
The Kavango Regional Council?s Chief Liaison Officer, Joseph Likoro confirmed to Nampa on Monday that the decision to exclude residents residing on the outskirts of the town has been overturned now as Government has since realised that there are people within town boundaries who are affected, and are also suffering like those in villages.
Rundu has five informal settlements, namely Sauyemwa, Kasote, Kehemu, Ndama and Tuhingireni.
Likoro said the registration, which is only targeting subsistence farmers in those informal settlements, is currently underway.
The comprehensive drought relief food consists of a 12,5kg bag of maize meal per family.
Some beneficiaries have called on the government to consider introducing some relish to supplement the maize meal.
Between 300 000 and 400 000 people, and 1.5 million livestock are affected by the drought in the country.
The persistent drought across the country prompted President Hifikepunye Pohamba to declare a State of Emergency on 17 May this year, and he also appealed to the international community for assistance to those in need.