Cholera outbreak remains under control
27 Jan 2014 19:00pm
WINDHOEK, 27 JAN (NAMPA) The cholera outbreak in the Kunene Region remains under control, the Ministry of Health and Social Services said on Monday.
The acting Kunene Regional Health Director, Joyce Mashaamba said in a media statement issued on Monday the number of suspected cholera patients treated at health facilities in the Kunene Region now stands at 453, with a total of 15 deaths recorded in the region.
This is the second cholera outbreak in the Kunene Region since last November. No deaths were recorded in the previous outbreak.
The statement said field workers in the region continue to, amongst other things, distribute water purification kits and oral rehydration solutions, and refer community members to health facilities.
MoHSS Public Relations Officer (PRO) Esther Paulus said last week the Ministry of Defence in Grootfontein has provided two water tanks to the Etanga and Otjiuu clinics in the Kunene Region, because water boreholes in those areas have dried up due to the ongoing drought.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry was expected to drill a borehole at the site of Etanga Clinic.
Mondays statement said the Health Ministry continues to receive clean water from the Ministries of Defence and Agriculture, Water and Forestry.