Noordhoek murder case bail hearing postponed to Thursday

01 Oct 2019 08:50am
KEETMANSHOOP, 01 OCT (NAMPA) – A 22-year-old man accused of stabbing a 45-year-old man to death in June last year here, brought forth a bail hearing application in the Keetmanshoop Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
The accused, Richard Swartz, appeared before magistrate Melissa Mungunda who postponed the case to Thursday for continuation of the bail hearing.
State representative Frederick van der Colf informed the court that the State still opposes bail because it has a strong case against the accused and because the witnesses are all known to Swartz and he might interfere with the witnesses.
Van der Colf also said the State fears that the accused might abscond once released on bail as he fled the scene and that it will not be in the interest of the justice system for Swartz to be released on bail.
The accused allegedly stabbed Moses Diba in the chest, causing his death at a bottle store in the Noordhoek residential area on the night of 29 June 2018.
He allegedly grabbed a knife from Diba, who was busy assaulting his (Swartz’s) ex-girlfriend, and stabbed him. Diba died on the spot.
During cross examination by his legal aid defence lawyer Maruschka January on Monday, Swartz informed the court that he understands that he is facing a serious charge and plans to stand trial.
In regard to the witnesses, Swartz said he knows the State witnesses but was quick to add that he has no relationship with them.
The accused informed the court that he can afford bail to the amount of N.dollars 1 500.
January said the reason why a formal bail application was launched is because the accused has been in custody for one year and three months and it is his right to bring such an application.
Another reason, according to the lawyer, is that Swartz has a minor child he has to take care of.
Swartz remains in custody at the police holding cells in Keetmanshoop until his next court appearance.
(NAMPA)
ST/PS