Otavi-Otjiwarongo road accident victim succumbs to injuries

03 Sep 2019 09:40am
OTJIWARONGO, 03 SEP (NAMPA) - A 27-year-old man, who was one of the five people injured in a road accident outside Otavi on Monday, succumbed to the injuries on Monday evening at Otjiwarongo.

Spokesperson of the Namibian Police Force in the Otjozondjupa Region, Inspector Maureen Mbeha, in an interview with Nampa on Tuesday said the name of the deceased is withheld as his next of kin are yet to be informed of his death.

Mbeha earlier on Monday said the vehicle, which was distributing newspapers at the time of accident, had five occupants in total, of which three were females aged 12, 27 and 39, along with the deceased and the 42-year-old male driver.

Mbeha explained that the vehicle, a minibus, was traveling from Otavi to Otjiwarongo.

“At about 36 kilometres south of Otavi, at approximately 12h09, it is alleged the vehicle had a left front tyre burst,” said Mbeha, adding that the driver then lost control over it and it overturned several times.

Mbeha said the occupants sustained slight to serous injuries and were first treated at the Otavi State Clinic on Monday, before being transferred to Otjiwarongo State Hospital and other private medical facilities the same day.

The driver, who was also admitted to the hospital, now faces charges of culpable homicide, reckless and/or negligent driving.

Police investigations continue.
(NAMPA)
MS/HP