APP calls for ACC probe into N.dollars 30 million security tender

03 Sep 2019 08:00am
RUNDU, 03 SEP (NAMPA) – All People’s Party (APP) Secretary-General (SG), Vincent Kanyetu has called Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) to investigate members of the procurement committee in the Kavango East Regional Council (KERC), who allegedly wanted to award a N.dollars 30 million security tender to a company that did not meet requirements.
Kanyetu said this in an interview with Nampa recently, saying that ACC should without a doubt constitute an investigation to probe members of the procurement committee that wanted to award a tender worth N.dollars 30 million to a company that does not have any track record in the security sector.
Several security companies in the region raised their frustration about recently towards the Kavango East Regional Council procurement committee’s intentions to award an N.dollars 30 million tender to a company alleged to not meet any pre-tender requirements.
The company was also reported to have been the highest bidder in the process compared to others.
The politician said the people should be investigated and be arrested [if found culpable] because these are the type of activities derailing the region in terms of development and is tantamount to fraud and corruption.
“We are calling on the ACC to investigate the company including the officials because there is sufficient evidence showing that the company wanted to commit fraud,” charged Kanyetu.
He added people that want to benefit from this tenders are not young people only, stressing that it is a combination of the elderly and young people and these people are known to them.
The company in question, Kanyetu said, does not have an office structure and for a company to get a tender of that magnitude should at least have all the necessary requirements.
Kavango East Chief Regional Officer (CRO), Ludwig Thikusho, told a local daily recently after the disgruntled security companies had a meeting with the procurement committee chaired by the CRO to raise their concerns, that he will institute an investigation from his office to look into the allegations.
He said as an accounting officer, he will conduct his own independent investigation into the matter since the bid evaluation committee were the ones that started the process and handed it to the procurement committee.
Quizzed on Monday on the progress of his investigations, Thikusho said he was away on official duty last week and attended several meetings but he will look into the matter starting from this week.
The successful tenderer was supposed to guard facilities under the directorate of education in the region such as schools, hostels, and other properties under the directorate for a period of three years.
(NAMPA)
PM/HP