Bail cancellation hearing in abduction sees postponement

12 Aug 2019 17:10pm
KEETMANSHOOP, 12 AUG (NAMPA) – The bail cancellation hearing of a 45-year-old teacher who allegedly abducted a 15-year-old girl here in June last year, was on Monday postponed due to the unavailability of the prosecutor dealing with the case.
The accused, Valery Bock, a teacher at Suiderlig Secondary School, is charged with abduction under the Combating of Immoral Practices Act 21 of 1980.
Bock made a brief appearance in the Keetmanshoop Magistrate’s Court before magistrate Melissa Mungunda, who postponed her case to 05 September 2019 for the continuation of the bail cancellation hearing.
The State was represented by Frederick van der Colf.
During her first court appearance on 14 June 2018, Bock was granted bail of N.dollars 4 000 on condition that she does not make any direct or indirect contact with the victim.
On 13 May 2019, the State brought before court a bail cancellation application after it was alleged that the accused had allegedly breached the bail conditions by taking the victim to her house, as well as sending her text messages.
The victim was supposed to give testimony on Monday.
Testifying before court in May this year, the victim’s mother said her child told her she was picked up by the teacher on 19 April 2019 and was only returned home when the police found her in the accused’s house on 21 April.
Bock however says the victim had only arrived at her house a few minutes before the arrival of the police.
The girl was found inside a wardrobe in Bock’s house in the Lemoendraai residential area after a search warrant was issued.
It is suspected that the teacher was involved in a romantic relationship with the girl.
(NAMPA)
ST/AS/PS