Man dies from insecticide poisoning, two others hospitalised

11 Aug 2019 13:40pm
WALVIS BAY, 11 AUG (NAMPA) – A 38-year-old man died on Saturday at Walvis Bay from alleged insecticide poisoning, while two others are recovering from the chemical fumes in the Walvis Bay State Hospital.
According to a police report issued by the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) on Sunday, the three people were discovered on Saturday around 08h00, in the shack they all shared at Kuisebmund in Walvis Bay.
The pesticide poisoning reportedly resulted after one of the roommates sprayed or placed the chemical in the ghetto on Thursday, with the intention to kill insects that had infested the shack.
“When he came back from work on Saturday morning however, he found one of the roommates dead and the other two in unconscious condition,” the statement said.
The deceased has been identified as Thomas Katakula and his body was taken to the police mortuary for a post-mortem to determine whether he indeed died as a result of the poisonous insecticide or not.
The two surviving men, aged 21 and 38, are currently receiving medical treatment and said to be in stable condition.