//Kharas governor says she is strategic about drought relief distribution

08 Aug 2019 18:20pm
By Paulus Hamutenya
KEETMANSHOOP, 08 AUG (NAMPA) – //Kharas Governor, Lucia Basson said her office has put in place strategic measures in distributing drought relief items by involving relevant stakeholders since they are the ones directly engaged with the community.
In an interview with Nampa here on Wednesday, Basson said early this year her office invited relevant stakeholders to a meeting including the //Kharas Regional Council, Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry and traditional authorities, tasking them to collectively identify the most drought-stricken areas in the region in order to properly distribute drought relief items as expected by the government without any embezzlement.
Basson said this strategy is working well since it leaves no one out, adding that the strategic partners meet her on a monthly basis and she receives updates on a weekly basis on the distribution of food and feed for households and livestock.
“I am very happy with the stakeholders’ involvement in carrying out this noble responsibility to identify the neediest communities as well as the Namibian Defence Force members who assist us with offloading of drought relief consignments,” she said.
Basson said the government targeted about 3 320 households in //Kharas, but the region has so far reached over 5 000 households.
She further emphasised water shortage as a serious concern in the region, saying it needs urgent attention.
“Water scarcity in the region is a reality, especially in areas such as Berseba. Namibians should really acknowledge the efforts of the government and support the drought relief programme,” said Basson.
In a telephonic interview, the Karasburg East Constituency councillor, Dennis Coetzee told this news agency that the measures in place are working, although the allocated funds cannot accommodate all identified members in his constituency.
“We have identified about 1 200 needy households but only 771 are accommodated,” he noted.
A resident from Koës speaking to Nampa on Thursday, 50-year-old Susana Kido said the drought relief programme reaches many affected households, even though she does not currently qualify.
(NAMPA)
PT/PS