Nicodemus secures services of third State-funded lawyer

07 Aug 2019 12:30pm
WINDHOEK, 07 AUG (NAMPA) - Lukas Nicodemus, who was on Tuesday found guilty of killing two women and burning their bodies in the capital in January 2016, has now secured the services of a new State-funded defence lawyer.
The Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid has on Wednesday instructed and appointed Kalundu Kamwi to represent convict Nicodemus during the submissions of the mitigation evidence for sentencing.
Kamwi and his client also met for the first time in court on Wednesday morning where their case was put on hold until Thursday to allow them to consult in respect of the mitigation evidence for sentencing.
This follows the withdrawal of his previous State-funded defence lawyer, Vernon Lutibezi after the two men could not find common ground on how to further proceed with the case.
In May this year, another State-funded defence lawyer, Mbanga Siyomuinji, also withdrew from representing Nicodemus for similar reasons.
Nicodemus, 49 was found guilty for the deaths of Windhoek residents Johanie Naruses, 29, and Clemensia de Wee, 23, in a judgement handed down by Judge Christie Liebenberg.
On the two charges of murder, he was found guilty with direct intent to kill both women.
Nicodemus was also found guilty as charged on a third count of defeating the course of justice when he burned and dumped the victims’ bodies at a dumpsite in the Pionierspark residential area during the period of 06 and 07 January 2016, in an attempt to conceal the crime.
He was, however, not found guilty and discharged on the fourth count of having failed to lock away his firearm or safekeeping his firearm in a proper safe after the prosecution could not prove this charge beyond reasonable doubt through the presentation of State witnesses' evidence.
The court also rejected as false and after-thoughts Nicodemus' defence evidence that a certain Bennie was the real person who killed the two women.
At the beginning of the trial in 2018, Nicodemus denied committing the brutal offences and told the court he had no knowledge of the incident.
He remains in police custody at the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility’s trial-awaiting section until his next court appearance on Thursday.