06 Aug 2019 16:50pm
WINDHOEK, 06 AUG (NAMPA) The second phase of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) and the Namibian Defence Force's joint operation, Kalahari Desert, will start on Monday, NamPol's spokesperson, deputy commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi said in a media briefing here on Tuesday.
Kanguatjivi said before the start of the operations, all officers who will form part of the operation will undergo three days of intensive induction training. The main focus of the training will be conduct during the execution of their duties.
He urged the public to work with the law enforcement agencies to ensure the proper combating of crime.
With the resumption of phase two of Operation Kalahari Desert, we request the public to desist from any act of lawlessness, undermining of authority, obstructing of the officers in the execution of their duties, lack of corporation, unruly and other unbecoming behaviour, he said.
He added that such behaviour will not be tolerated, adding that the operation is important to safety and security and the public should appreciate it.
Kanguatjivi added that just after the end of Operation Hornkranz, national incidents of crime in March rose from 8 039 to 8 787.
After the introduction of Operation Kalahari Desert's first phase, national incidents of crime in April reduced to 8 186 and in June to 7 349, which was the last month of the operation.
Highlighting the success of Operation Kalahari Desert's first phase, Kanguatjivi said it led to 1 996 arrests, of which 762 are major offences and 1 234 minor offences. Drugs worth N.dollars 683 072 were confiscated, 284 livestock recovered and 4 454 summons issued during the first phase.
He added that 1 711 weapons were confiscated, including three shotguns and 46 pistols.
Kanguatjivi further added that the few incidences of alleged unprofessional conduct made against law enforcement operatives among other cases of alleged misconduct by law enforcement officer on operation were investigated and many of the claims were unfounded and fabricated.