15 Jan 2014 19:00pm
WINDHOEK, 15 JAN (NAMPA) - Parents who are still looking for space for their children in Windhoek schools will only know whether they have succeeded in the first week of February, some principals indicated on Wednesday.
Most of the schools Nampa visited on Wednesday indicated that the year got off to a smoother start than previous years as they already completed their registrations last July.
Many however still have parents enquiring for space for their children, but say they will only be able to consider their applications at a later stage.
Dr Frans Aupa Indongo Primary School principal Job Shipanga said they completed all their registrations last year. The school is situated in the Babylon informal settlement in Katutura.
Shipanga said they will only consider taking in new learners in the first week of February.
He said most of the parents looking for placement for their children are from other regions.
We do not have space available at the moment, but we are going to look at our registration lists and then considers those parents in the first week of February, he said.
The principal of another primary school in Katutura who asked not to be named also said most of the enquiries for space are from parents from other regions. She however said they will only be able to say whether they have space available as from 05 February.
At Michelle McLean Primary School in Otjomuise, head of department Cornelius Hansen said they have also had enquiries from parents from other regions. He said the school however does not have any space available, and will only be able to consider learners from other regions should some of their own learners, for whatever reason, not return to school.
Also speaking to this news agency, Martti Ahtisaari Primary School principal Hermanus Bok said his school only lacks classroom space, and this led to them not being able to accommodate a big number of learners from the Wanaheda residential area where the school is situated.
We currently have five classrooms with Grade 1 learners and the Ministry of Education has plans to erect three tents to enable us to accommodate more Grade 1 learners, he said.
Bok said he is however ready for the 2014 academic year and encouraged parents not to give up and to go around to different schools if they are still looking for space for their children.