Erongo farmers open cases of assault against NDF officers

21 Jul 2019 17:00pm
OMARURU, 21 JUL (NAMPA) – The Namibian Police Force (NamPol) on Sunday confirmed that 14 cases of assault and assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm have been opened against members of the Namibian Defence Force by a group of farmers from the Erongo Region.
In an interview with Nampa on Sunday, NamPol spokesperson Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi confirmed the cases, saying they were opened between 11 and 16 July.
The alleged assault relates to the forcible removal of the farmers and their livestock from grazing land belonging to the Ministry of Defence by NDF members.
The farmers, whose livestock was reportedly grazing along the railway line corridor between Omaruru and Kranzberg, were allegedly told to vacate the area with their cattle and camp at least 50 metres from the fence of Farm Etiro, which belongs to the Ministry of Defence, leading to a dispute between the two parties on 11 July.
The NDF, through a statement issued by spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Petrus Shilumbu last week, said NDF members are reasonable human beings and fully understand the negative effects of the drought, but do not condone trespassing.
The NDF refuted acts of violence, stating that no weapons were used and no assault or detention of any sort was made in the process of restraining the farmers.
(NAMPA)
IB/HP/PS