Two arrested for illegal hunting

08 Jul 2019 18:40pm
WINDHOEK, 08 JUL (NAMPA) – A member of the Namibian Defence Force (NDF) and a teacher from the Valombola Vocational Training Centre in Ongwediva were on Monday arrested for allegedly hunting illegally in the Oshikoto Region.
A weekly crime report issued by the Namibian Police Force on Monday said the two were arrested at a police check point in the Oshikoto Region at around 01h00.
The suspects were allegedly found with two duikers, two rabbits, two springhares and an unidentified antelope loaded in the vehicle.
The NDF member (51), a colonel by rank and the 55-year-old teacher, were caught up in the illegal hunting after they allegedly loaded the stolen meat in a Nissan pick-up in Tsutsab farm, Tsintsabis on Monday around 01H00.
It is allegedly that the farm owner heard gunshots, woke up his son and three workers, who then followed the lights of the vehicle and then notified the police who were on hand to arrest the suspects at the check point.
A shotgun with one live round alleged belonging to NDF as well as Makarov pistol with five rounds were also found in the car.
The arms and the meat were confiscated and the suspects are expected to appear before the Tsumeb Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.
In another incident, a 49-year-old man was arrested while two others fled and are still on the run after they were allegedly caught in the act of illegal poaching.
It is reported that these incident occurred at the Ondongandje farm in the Omaruru on Thursday at around 17h00
The report added that two reservist police officers on farm patrol received a phone call from Ondongandje, saying that footprints were observed in the farm.
The two officers followed the footprints and allegedly came across two Oryx killed by the poachers. The carcasses, valued at N.dollars 10 000 were recovered.
The officers then allegedly followed the footsteps further and found three men hanging meat on wires, with two fleeing the scene when they saw the officers.
The arrested suspect was shot in the leg after he was allegedly warned with several shots but ignored the shots, instead throwing stones at the officers.
He was rushed to the Omaruru State Hospital for medical treatment and is in a stable condition under police guard.