Court interpreter testifies in arson case

13 Jan 2014 20:20pm
KEETMANSHOOP, 13 JAN (NAMPA) - The interpreter at the Keetmanshoop Magistrate’s Court says her ex-boyfriend, an arson suspect believed to have started a fire at the court building, asked her to help get rid of a police docket on a diamond theft case.
The interpreter, Sylvia Swartz said this in the Keetmanshoop Court on Monday, during her testimony as a State witness on the bail application of ex-boyfriend and arson suspect Danki Jesaya Naukosho.
The 38-year-old Naukosho is the latest addition to the case in which his brother Isak Ndeulita Naukosho, 40; Joseph Kudumo Amutenya, 29; and the 32-year-old Chifundo Alick Phiri are accused of setting alight the secretary’s office at the Keetmanshoop court building.
On 05 November last year, Phiri, Danki Naukosho and Amutenya allegedly tried to destroy police dockets dealing with a case in which Isak Naukosho faced a charge of theft for allegedly stealing a diamond.
All four men now face charges of arson and obstruction of justice.
Isak Naukosho was sentenced to five years’ imprisonment or a fine of N.dollars 100 000 in Keetmanshoop on 06 November 2013, a day after the office was set on fire. He managed to settle his bail money in November and was released from custody before being rearrested.
During their first appearance in December 2013, the same court heard that Isak Naukosho asked his brother Danki to hire Phiri and Amutenya from Windhoek to travel to Keetmanshoop and set the office in which they suspected the docket was stored on fire.
Fortunately, no valuable documents or police dockets were destroyed in the blaze.
A photocopy machine, fax machine and other items worth a total of about N.dollars 70 000 were destroyed in the blaze.
On Monday, the court heard that Danki asked Swartz to help them destroy the file, but she said she refused to do so.
Danki Naukosho however denied asking his former girlfriend for help.
Danki Naukosho’s bail application will continue here on Tuesday, while the case for all four suspects is postponed to 21 February for further police investigations and preparation of legal representations.
Magistrate Anderson Frederick heard the bail application, with Principal Legal Officer Pieter Smit representing the State.