Alleged City Centre shooter in court on Thursday

12 Jun 2019 14:40pm
WINDHOEK, 12 JUN (NAMPA) – A former Global Fund employee who allegedly shot dead a former colleague and wounded another in Windhoek in January this year, is scheduled to make another appearance in the Magistrate's Court here on Thursday.
The 33-year-old Simasiku Simataa Simasiku previously appeared before Windhoek Magistrate Vanessa Stanley on 29 April this year on a charge of murder and attempted murder.
His case was postponed to 13 June 2019 to allow the police investigating team to finalise their investigations.
The postponement was a final remand for further police investigations.
At the time Public Prosecutor Precious Matali, who represented the State, informed the court that two statements were still outstanding, as was the ballistics report from the National Forensic Science Institute of Namibia.
The decision to postpone the case was taken after an agreement was reached by Simasiku’s Legal Aid-funded defence lawyer, Henry Shimutwikeni and prosecutor Matali.
Simasiku remains in police custody at the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility, with no option to post bail.
On 28 January 2019, he allegedly walked into the City Centre office building and shot the two victims.
One victim, 58-year-old Sarah Mwilima, a director of the Global Fund programme management unit, died at the scene, while the other victim, Ester Nepolo, was wounded and received medical treatment at the Lady Pohamba Private Hospital over the past few months.
Nepolo has now been discharged from hospital, according to the police investigating team.
Simasiku previously worked at the programme management unit under the Global Fund Directorate based within the Ministry of Health and Social Services, along with the two victims, and was employed at the ministry’s Primary Health Care unit at the time of the incident.
The accused handed himself over to the Wanaheda Police Station shortly after the incident.
The motive for the shooting is still unknown.