10 Jun 2019 18:40pm
ONGWEDIVA, 10 JUN (NAMPA) The Ondonga Traditional Authority (OTA) has confirmed that a letter circulated on social media, stating government approval of Prince Fillemon Shuumbwa Nangolo as the designated Omukwaniilwa (king) of Ondonga, is authentic.
In an interview with Nampa on Monday, OTA Secretary Joseph Asino said the letter was in circulation on social media before it reached the traditional authority Monday afternoon.
He said the OTA contacted the line ministry after seeing the letter on social media and confirmed its authenticity.
The letter is authentic and just a positive government response to our application for our new Omukwaniilwa Shuumbwa to be recognised as the successor to the late Tatekulu Omukwaniilwa Immanuel Kauluma Elifas, noted Asino.
Elifas died in March this year at the age of 85.
Asino also confirmed that Shuumbwas official inauguration will be held at his homestead at Onambango village near Ondangwa on 29 June.
In the letter, the Minister of Urban and Rural Development, Peya Mushelenga noted that the application to designate Nangolo as king is approved as per Section 5, Article 2 of the Traditional Authorities Act of 2000.
The article serves to provide for the establishment of traditional authorities and the designation, election, appointment and recognition of traditional leaders.
Further, it is to define the powers, duties and functions of traditional authorities and traditional leaders and to provide for matters incidental thereto.
Nangolos appointment comes after a long battle between him and another royal prince, Konis Eino Kalenga, on who should succeed the late chief.
Nangolo was previously appointed by the late Elifas as his deputy and successor.
A different faction of the royal family nominated Kalenga as the next Omukwaniilwa of Ondonga in accordance with the Ondonga customary laws of succession, as well as Section 5 (1) (a) of the Traditional Authorities Act, Act 25 of 2002.