Swakopmund murder accused’s case sees delay

10 Jun 2019 15:30pm
WINDHOEK, 10 JUN (NAMPA) – The trial of a man who confessed to killing a 78-year-old pensioner at his house in Swakopmund in August 2017, was on Monday postponed until next week.
The murder trial of Unaaro Mbemukenga was set to start before Acting High Court Judge Kobus Miller, but could not proceed because the defence lawyer has not yet provided the accused with the disclosure of the State’s case.
In the result, the matter was postponed to 17 June this year to allow defence lawyer Mbanga Siyomuinji to provide the State disclosure to his client.
The disclosure among others includes a charge sheet, a list of the names of the State witnesses and a copy of the photo plan.
Monday’s postponement was done as per an agreement reached by Siyomuinji and State Advocate Cliff Lutibezi in court.
The 26-year-old Mbemukenga, on trial for the murder of Swakopmund resident Manfred Karel Hartmann, had allegedly confessed to committing the offence when he made his second appearance in the Swakopmund Magistrate’s Court on 15 November 2017.
A summary of substantial facts contained in the charge sheet suggests that Mbemukenga, who was employed as a gardener for about two months by the deceased, allegedly robbed and killed the pensioner by hitting him over the head with a brick and then tying his hands behind his back at the victim’s house on 17 August 2017.
Hartmann’s lifeless body was discovered the next day in the outside bathroom of his house, after Mbemukenga’s girlfriend got worried when the accused did not return home from work.
It is alleged that the girlfriend, with a group of police officers, then went to Hartmann’s house to search for Mbemukenga, only to discover Hartmann’s body.
After committing the murder, Mbemukenga allegedly fled to Outjo, where he was shot and wounded by police officers while reportedly resisting arrest, before spending a month in the Katutura State Hospital in Windhoek under heavy police guard.
During his second appearance in the Swakopmund Magistrate’s Court in November 2017, he told the court he understands the reasons why he was arrested and that was because he killed someone.
He remains in police custody at the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility with no option to post bail until his next court appearance on 17 June 2019.