Rhino poaching accused remanded in custody at Outjo

07 Jun 2019 18:10pm
OTJIWARONGO, 07 JUN (NAMPA) – Five men arrested on 29 May 2019 for the alleged poaching of a rhino at a private game farm outside Outjo, were on Thursday remanded in custody at the town for further police investigations.
The accused, Simon Petrus Mbanzi, 37, Immanuel Haingura, 42, Christopher Kanonga, 37, Joseph Kativa Ndumba, 44, and 28-year-old Abel Dumeni, were all arrested last week Wednesday at Rundu in the Kehemu informal settlement of the Kavango East Region.
Their case was then transferred from Rundu to the Outjo Magistrate’s Court, in the district where the alleged poaching incident had taken place towards the end of May.
Mbanzi, Haingura, Kanonga, Ndumba and Dumeni on Thursday told the magistrate’s court at Outjo that they will apply for Legal Aid lawyers through the Ministry of Justice.
Their case was then postponed to 07 August 2019 to allow them to acquire legal representation and for the police to complete their investigations into the matter.
Namibian Police Force regional crime investigations coordinator in the Otjozondjupa Region, Deputy Commissioner Naukalemo Andreas on Tuesday told Nampa separately that each of the five men faces a charge of illegal hunting of special protected game species.
(NAMPA)
MS/HP/PS