NDF shocked as soldiers run amok
29 Apr 2019 18:10pm
WINDHOEK, 29 APR (NAMPA) The Ministry of Defence (MoD) expressed shock after soldiers allegedly beat up civilians at Freedom Land in Katutura, Windhoek, during Operation Hornkranz which started last week.
MoD Public Relations Division Lieutenant Colonel, Petrus Shilumbu in the media statement issued on Monday said the ministry was shocked by information reported in the local media and on social media regarding the assault of a woman over the weekend.
A picture of an injured woman, among other incidents, was circulated on social media with wounds on her face after allegedly being beaten by soldiers for no apparent reason.
The MoD did not order soldiers to assault members of the public and this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated, said Shilumbu.
In this regard, Shilumbu indicated that the ministry will investigate the case and those found guilty will be dealt with according to the Military Discipline Code.
He assured the Namibian nation that MoD is a law-abiding force and operates within the law.
He further mentioned that Operation Hornkranz forms part of the ministrys secondary role, which includes assisting civil power and civil authorities when required.