Nudo says govt not serious about reparations for genocide victims

24 Apr 2019 19:40pm
WINDHOEK, 24 APR (NAMPA) – The Namibian Government is not serious about seeking fair reparations for victims of the 1904-1908 genocide, National Unity Democracy Organisation (Nudo) President Ester Muinjangue said Wednesday.
The party was responding to President Hage Geingob’s statements last week, after the State of the Nation Address, that Germany is not ready to pay reparations to the affected communities in monetary terms, but would rather fund development projects.
Geingob said: “They are talking about projects especially in the areas where those who lost or those areas (where) genocide communities (are found in Namibia)… If we are together, we can start with projects like Millennium Challenge Account so that we can come together and come up with projects in areas where people are suffering who are descendants of genocide victims.”
Muinjangue said the statements are a clear indication that Government has never shown any seriousness in seeking just and fair reparation on behalf of the victims of the genocide.
“We knew from the start that the so-called negotiations between the two governments were negotiated in bad faith right from the word go. It is a relationship based on unequal power,” she said.
She further questioned why the government spent over N.dollars 48 million to consult lawyers in the United Kingdom if it is convinced that Namibians will receive development aid.
“Was this necessary if our government is so convinced that Namibians will receive development aid or was this another trick to put money into somebody's pockets?” Muinjangue said.
Although she was not surprised, she asserted that “the struggle for restorative justice continues for the Ovaherero and Nama communities.”
(NAMPA)
WN/EK/AS