Henties Bay municipal employee charged by ACC

03 Jan 2014 09:10am
WINDHOEK, 03 JAN (NAMPA) – Henties Bay Municipality employee Anthony John Scholtz, who was accused of corrupt and unprocedural sale of two erven in October 2012, has appeared before the Regional Court in Swakopmund following investigations by the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC).
In a statement issued to the media on Thursday, the ACC said Scholtz, who is a Strategic Executive in the Corporate Service Department (Economic Development and Urban Management) at the Henties Bay Municipality, was arraigned on two charges of contravening section 43(1) of the Anti-Corruption Act, Act No. 8 of 2003 (corruptly using office or position for gratification) and alternatively on contravention on contraventions of section 35(3) (b) of the Anti-Corruption Act (Corruptly using a false document by an agent).
The case was postponed to 28 February 2014 for Scholtz to obtain legal aid.
The two erven valued at N.dollars 75 820 and N.dollars 72 250 were already awarded for sale to Lineekela Kalimba, who became alarmed after seeing the two erven re-advertised for sale in the local media.
“The ensuing investigation uncovered that documentation that contained false information were utilised to facilitate the registration of the said erven,” the ACC said.
The ACC also affected the arrests of Godfrey Mulisa Mulisa and Vincent Ncube during November 2013.
Mulisa, who is an immigration official at the Ministry of Home Affairs and Immigration at the Ariamsvlei Border Post, was arrested after he allegedly solicited and received a bribe of N.dollars 240 from Zimbabwean national Ncube.
Ncube paid Mulisa for extending his visitor’s visa for longer than the allowed 90 days.
“The bribery was uncovered after Namibian Police officers at the Border Post became suspicious of the demeanor of Ncube, and after performing a search uncovered incriminating documentation with cell phone numbers as well as SMS messages on his cell phone,” the ACC said.
Mulisa and Ncube were arrested after an investigation and questioning, and appeared in the Karasburg Magistrate’s Court on 28 November 2013.
The matter was remanded to 18 January 2014 for further investigation.
Mulisa was granted bail for N.dollars 2 000, while his co-accused Ncube remains in custody.