Five die in Erongo between 28 and 31 Dec 2013

02 Jan 2014 18:20pm
WINDHOEK, 02 JAN (NAMPA) - Five people died between 28 and 31 December 2013 in the Erongo Region.
According to Namibian Police Force (NamPol) Detective Inspector for the Erongo Region, Erastus Iikwiyu, a 56-year-old Kuisebmund resident, Sofia Hedwig Lutulu, died on the spot when the white Ford Ranger with a Walvis Bay registration number in which she was travelling overturned between Henties Bay and Spitzkoppe on 31 December 2013.
Iikwiyu told Nampa on Thursday that the vehicle overturned about seven kilometers from the main road - the B2 road - after the driver lost control of it.
There were nine occupants in the vehicle, including the driver. Four passengers were seriously injured and rushed to the Usakos State Hospital. They were later transferred to the Windhoek Central Hospital in Windhoek.
“The other passengers sustained minor injuries, and the vehicle was damaged beyond repair,” he said.
Lutulu's next of kin have been informed.
Another person died on Wednesday at about 03h20 after he was run over by a taxi while hitchhiking.
The police reported that the deceased, Abraham Tate Okwati Petrus, 22, was standing in the middle of the road hitchhiking after the car he was travelling in ran out of fuel outside Swakopmund.
“His friends were hiking to Walvis Bay to get petrol. The deceased wanted to get a hike to go back to Windhoek where he stays,” said Iikwiyu.
It is suspected that the deceased might have been under the influence of alcohol.
A case of culpable homicide was opened against the taxi driver, and investigations continue.
Iikwiyu said that the case will be forwarded to the Control Prosecutor's office for a decision.
Petrus's next of kin have been informed.
In yet another death, a South African national was killed in a motorbike accident while riding on the dunes near Long Beach on New Year's Eve.
Casperus Aucand, 37, died from head injuries which he sustained after he fell off his motorbike about three kilometres into the dunes away from the main road.
His next of kin have been informed.
A Mondesa resident was killed in a motor-vehicle accident after the vehicle in which he was travelling overturned on a gravel road outside Henties Bay on 28 December 2013.
Iikwiyu said the driver of the maroon Peugeot with a Swakopmund registration number was driving at a high speed when it crossed a railway line and lost control of the vehicle, resulting in it overturning.
All four occupants were thrown out of the vehicle, and one passenger identified as Nikodemus Angunga, 27, died on the spot.
“Two passengers were rushed to the Swakopmund Intermediate Hospital and were in a stable condition while the driver was arrested. Angunga's next of kin have been informed,” said Iikwiyu.
In a separate incident, a prisoner was found dead in a police holding cell in the Erongo Region on 28 December 2013 at around 15h00.
According to Iikwiyu, the deceased was seen cleaning some of the holding cells early that day and returned to his room with the intention to take a shower but the water was closed.
“When the other inmates came to pick him up for lunch, they found him dead,” he said.
Iikwiyu said that according to his medical passport, the deceased was suffering from epilepsy.
The deceased, Reinhold Paulus, 45, was sentenced in Oshakati for stock theft, and was transferred to the Erongo Region where he was serving his sentence for safety reasons.
His next of kin have been informed, and police investigations continue.
The Police in the Erongo Region also recorded the rape of a 22-year-old woman apparently at the hands of her ex-boyfriend in Karemora Street in Kuisebmund, Walvis Bay on 28 December.
The suspect allegedly picked up the victim up from Independence Beach where she was enjoying herself with other people.
“Apparently, the suspect told her that her friends are there at his house, but when they got there, the victim's friends were not there. Upon arrival, the suspect pulled the victim into a room and forced her to have sexual intercourse without using a condom,” he said.
Iikwiyu added that the suspect fled to Windhoek, but he is known to the Namibian Police.