Man in violent attack on Uis pensioners faces sentencing in May

10 Apr 2019 16:00pm
WINDHOEK, 10 APR (NAMPA) - Charles Namiseb, one of the two men arrested in connection with a violent armed robbery on an elderly couple at Uis in October 2010, will face sentencing in the High Court here next month.
High Court Judge Alfred Siboleka will hand down the sentence in the matter on 20 May 2019.
The date in respect of Namiseb's sentencing was decided upon Wednesday morning.
Prosecution representative, State Advocate Innocentia Nyoni, wants the court to impose a long direct custodial sentence considering the seriousness of the violent offences committed against the pensioners, while Namiseb's Legal Aid-funded defence lawyer - Attorney Jan Wessels - asked the court to impose a sentence that would not destroy his client's chances of rehabilitation.
The 37-year-old Namiseb and his friend Edwin Tourob, 34, were in March 2016 found guilty of carrying out the bloody attack on the elderly couple on 03 October 2010 in a judgement handed down by Judge Siboleka.
They were found guilty as charged by the State on two counts of attempted murder, a charge of robbery with aggravating circumstances and three counts of rape which are being dealt with by the court in terms of the strict provisions of the Combating of Rape Act of 2000, as amended.
Tourob was sentenced to an effective 53 years imprisonment in May 2016 while Namiseb was still on the run after he escaped from the Windhoek Police Station's holding cells on 16 March 2016.
Namiseb was, however, re-arrested in South Africa in April 2017 and extradited to Namibia in July last year for the finalisation of his case.
Evidence presented by the prosecution during trial has it that during the attack, the 72-year-old man was struck on the head with a spade before being dragged into the house where he was tied up with an electrical cord.
His 69-year-old wife was also assaulted and tied up by the two assailants. The woman was raped and sustained serious injuries.
The two convicts then robbed the elderly couple of their car, money, two firearms and jewellery worth about N.dollars 78 900.
The names of the two victims cannot be made public for protection purposes.
Tourob was arrested on the day of the attack after he was wounded when the police shot at the stolen car as it drove through a police roadblock between Uis and Khorixas.
Namiseb was arrested in Swakopmund about three days after the incident.
He remains in police custody at the Windhoek Correctional Facility, pending the handing down of his sentence on 20 May 2019.