Murder convict refuses to apologise for killing girlfriend

13 Mar 2019 17:20pm
WINDHOEK, 13 MAR (NAMPA) - A self-employed man from Karasburg, who was last month found guilty in the High Court of subjecting his girlfriend to prolonged beatings until her death in 2014, on Wednesday refused to apologise to the victim's family members for the loss of life.

In his defense evidence before court on Wednesday, August van Wyk, 53, refused to tender an apology to the victim's family members and relatives for causing the death of deceased person, Katrina Waterboer, who died on 30 August 2014 after prolonged assaults by the convict.

“I feel very bad that the deceased person is no longer with us. I feel very bad that the deceased lost her life. She was my girlfriend and I loved her very much,” said Van Wyk, who completely refused to say sorry for causing the death of the deceased.

In her testimony in court on Wednesday, the deceased's mother, Sophia van Schalkwyk, also said the convicted man had never approached her family members or relatives to ask for forgiveness since his arrest on 22 July 2014.

“August van Wyk had never apologised to us for causing the deceased's death. His brother, Basie van Wyk, has however contributed an amount of N.dollars 400 for the funeral expenses,” Van Schalkwyk told the court.

She then pleaded with the court that August van Wyk be punished accordingly because “he took away my daughter from me for reasons only known [only] to himself.”

On 27 February this year (2019), High Court Judge Nate Ndauendapo found Van Wyk guilty on a charge of murder with direct intention to kill in respect of the death of Waterboer.

August van Wyk pleaded not guilty to murder, defeating the course of justice charge and the common assault charge.

According to medical evidence presented before court, Waterboer had severe swelling of the soft tissue covering the head due to subcutaneous bleeding, bilateral subdural bleeding and brain swelling.

The deceased died as a result of multiple injuries, subdural bleeding and a brain concussion.
Van Wyk remains in custody at the Windhoek Correctional Facility.
Legal Aid-funded defence lawyer Milton Engelbrecht is defending August van Wyk.

State Advocate Cliff Lutibezi is representing the prosecution.

The submissions of pre-sentencing procedures continue Thursday.