Two die in shack fire at Otavi

08 Mar 2019 16:00pm
OTJIWARONGO, 08 MAR (NAMPA) - An 11-month-old baby girl and her 29-year-old mother died Thursday night after the shack they were sleeping in was gutted by fire in the New Cairo informal settlement at Otavi.
Spokesperson of the Namibian Police Force in the Otjozondjupa Region, Inspector Maureen Mbeha told Nampa in an interview the incident occurred around 23h00.
The deceased have been identified as Margaretha Aimwata, the owner of the shack, and her daughter, Rauha Shikongeni.
“We suspect the fire might have been caused by a candle,” Mbeha said.
The police officer said the deceased are originally from the Oshitukafitu village in the Omusati Region.
Their next of kin have been informed of their deaths.
Police investigations in the matter continue.
(NAMAP)
MS/HP/AS