Bail hearing in Koës murder case postponed for judgment
01 Mar 2019 09:00am
KEETMANSHOOP, 01 MAR (NAMPA) The bail hearing of one of three men accused of murdering an elderly couple at a farm near Koës early last year, was on Thursday concluded and postponed to 12 March 2019 for judgement.
The accused, Johannes Christiaan, made another appearance in the Keetmanshoop Magistrates Court before Magistrate Melissa Mungunda, who postponed the case.
At the start of the accuseds bail hearing in December last year, State Representative, Lewis Chigunwe, informed the court that the State opposed bail because it has a strong case against Christiaan and because the witnesses are all known to Christiaan, which means he could influence or threaten them.
Chigunwe added that the prosecutor-generals decision states that investigations are far from being completed and it is not in the interest of the administration of justice to grant bail.
During his second bail hearing appearance in January this year, Christiaan told the court that he was not with his co-accused persons when they went into the deceaseds house and he was only arrested because he was implicated by his co-accused.
He also claimed that he does not know the witnesses in the case and he could not interfere or influence them.
Giving his submissions to Mungunda on Thursday defence lawyer Florian Beukes said his client does not know the state witnesses and he could not interfere with them.
Christiaan, Julius Arndt and Andries Afrikaner are accused of murdering Giel and Sarie Botma on their farm on 02 February 2018.
The three are charged with two counts of murder, possession of a firearm without a licence, possession of ammunition, theft of a motor vehicle and housebreaking with intent to rob.