Security guards call off strike
19 Dec 2013 19:10pm
WINDHOEK, 19 DEC (NAMPA) - Members of the Namibia Security Guards and Watchmen Union (NSGWU) on Thursday agreed to call off their planned strike after being given the assurance that their demands will be discussed in January.
The union members received the assurance from the Namibian Employers' Federation (NEF) on Thursday after meeting with the Deputy Minister of Labour and Social Welfare, Alpheus Muheua.
The security guards had earlier threatened to embark on a countrywide strike should their demands for better pay and working conditions not be met.
NSGWU's Secretary General David Frans told Nampa both the union and federation, which is the representative organisation for employers in Namibia, reached an agreement that the federation's members (the security guards employers), will meet in January next year to review the union members' demands.
We also reached an agreement that the security guards who took part in a demonstration today will not be dismissed by their employers, he said.
The security guards are demanding that their salaries be increased to N.dollars 250 per shift for entry-level employees who currently earn N.dollars 5 per hour.
The union also wants the removal of salary deductions for guards who are found sleeping on duty; for being absent without leave; for transport allowances; as well as uniform deductions and bank charges.