Youth will be considered first by ECN: OPM

05 Feb 2019 19:50pm
WINDHOEK, 05 FEB (NAMPA) – Unemployed youth will be considered first for the recruitment of voters’ registration and election officials by the Electoral Commission of Namibia (ECN), the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) said.
A media statement on Tuesday said OPM discussed with the ECN the public’s concerns surrounding public officials being considered for the positions ahead of unemployed young people.
“OPM wishes to inform the public that assurance is provided by the ECN that the recruitment of Government officials (and other employed persons elsewhere) would be limited,” reads the statement.
It also said that during the previous elections, only 4 per cent of the registration and election officials were Government staff and that the remaining 96 per cent were drawn from unemployed youth.
“The ECN has provided assurance that the same will be maintained during the upcoming registration and election process,” the OPM said.
Namibia is set to hold Presidential and National Assembly Elections in November this year.
(NAMPA)
SP/PS/EK