Gibeon rape case postponed to April
04 Feb 2019 13:10pm
REHOBOTH, 04 FEB (NAMPA) A man arrested last week for the alleged rape of a 26-year-old woman in Gibeon before fleeing the scene, made his first appearance at the Gibeon Magistrates Court on Friday.
The accused, Abraham Swartbooi, appeared before Magistrate Verinao Kamahene on a charge of rape when his case was postponed to 01 April for further investigations and for him to apply for legal aid.
Swartbooi allegedly raped the woman in the early hours of 26 January in Gibeon after breaking into her small zinc house.
Earlier police reports said the victim was fast asleep in her shack at the Helena Pieters Section with her 5-year-old son and was awoken by a noise of her door being forced open by the suspect, whom she knew and recognised.
The suspect, after entering the room, allegedly locked the door from inside and told the victim to behave and do as he said, otherwise he would kill her.
He allegedly ordered the victim to remove her clothes, which she refused. He then hit her in the stomach and left rib cage with fists and instructed her to lie down, after which he then allegedly undressed her and himself before forcefully sexually assaulting her.
It is reported that as the victim screamed for help, her son woke up and witnessed the act.
Swartbooi was denied bail, but was told that he can apply for formal bail and is being detained at the Gibeon Police holding cells.
Public Prosecutor Dimitri |Gôagoseb represented the State in the matter.