No bail for health employee who shot former female colleagues

30 Jan 2019 12:50pm
WINDHOEK, 30 JAN (NAMPA) – An employee of the Ministry of Health and Social Services (MoHSS) who allegedly shot dead a former female colleague and wounded another one during a shooting incident at City Centre Building here on Monday, was on Wednesday ordered to remain in police custody with no option to post bail.
The 33-year-old Simasiku Simataa Simasiku was ordered to remain in police custody when he made his first appearance before Windhoek Magistrate, Vanessa Stanley.
The court has, however, informed him to bring a formal bail application before court within the next few days if he wants to be released on bail.
After being informed about his constitutional rights to legal representation, Simasiku opted to apply to the Justice Ministry’s Directorate of Legal Aid for a State-funded defence lawyer to come and represent him during future court proceedings and when his trial properly begins.
The accused appeared in person on Wednesday with no legal representation on charges of murder and attempted murder.
Public Prosecutor Sylvia Kauluma, who strongly opposed the granting of bail due to the seriousness and complexity of the matter, represented the State.
Simasiku’s case was, thereafter, postponed to 01 March 2019 because police investigations into the matter are still at an early stage and to allow him to apply for legal representation.
Briefing the media at the scene on Monday, Namibian Police Force Khomas crime investigations coordinator, Sylvanus Nghishidimbwa said the accused allegedly walked into the office building and shot the victims at about 11h00.
Nghishidimbwa said one victim, a director of the Global Fund programme management unit, Sarah Mwilima, 58, died at the scene, while the other victim, Ester Nepolo, was rushed to the Roman Catholic Hospital.
Nepolo was at later transferred to Lady Pohamba Private Hospital where she is now receiving medical treatment in the intensive care unit.
Simasiku previously worked at the programme management unit under the Global Fund Directorate along with the two victims and was employed at the MoHSS Primary Health Care unit at the time of the incident.
The accused handed himself over to the Wanaheda Police Station shortly after the incident and the motive for the shooting is still unknown, while police investigations into the matter continue.
(NAMPA)
SKE/PS