Man accused of killing ex-girlfriend back in court at Keetmanshoop

16 Jan 2019 14:50pm
KEETMANSHOOP, 16 JAN (NAMPA) – A 22-year-old man accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend in November last year, made his second court appearance in the Keetmanshoop Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.
The accused, Immanuel Petrus appeared before Magistrate Melissa Mungunda, who postponed his case to 04 March this year to allow for police investigations and for the accused to acquire legal aid.
Frederick van der Colf, representing the State, informed the court that investigations in the matter have not yet been completed.
During his first court appearance on 06 November 2018, Petrus told the court that he wishes to apply for legal aid.
He was denied bail out of fear that he might interfere with police investigations, which were at an early stage. It was also not in the public interest for bail to be granted.
During the court hearing on Wednesday, Mungunda said the accused could bring a formal bail application if he wishes so.
Petrus allegedly stabbed 28-year-old Engeline Rooi in the neck and arm at a bar in the Tseiblaagte residential area on the night of 03 November 2018.
Rooi was declared dead upon arrival at the Keetmanshoop State Hospital.
Petrus is remanded in custody at the Keetmanshoop Police holding cells until his next court appearance.
(NAMPA)
ST/EK/AS