16 Jan 2019 10:40am
OTJIWARONGO, 16 JAN 2019 A memorial service for the six people out of seven who burnt beyond recognition in a collision on 10 August 2018 on the Otjiwarongo-Otavi B1 road was held on Tuesday evening at Otjiwarongos DRC informal settlement.
The six were a family that formed part of the seven deceased people who died after a sedan and a white pick-up collided and burst into flames on the B1 road in August last year.
The accident occurred shortly before 15h00, about five kilometres north of Otjiwarongo after a sedan, which was travelling from Otjiwarongo collided with a pick-up that headed in the opposite direction and was occupied by two South African nationals who escaped with serious injuries.
The deceased were identified as Lazarus Makinge, 69, Marianne Makinge, 67, Theresia Guxas, 40, six-year-old Iyaloo Zoey Haufiku, Nolitha Star Makinge aged four, and two-month-old Alisha Makinge from Outjo, and the 41-year-old Markus Musikarakuma, who was driving the sedan was from Gobabis.
Their identification took a lengthy process in the capital through a forensic DNA sample collection from the deceaseds remains and their close relatives.
A relative of the six Outjo deceased, Athlanta Nakare, 42, in an interview with Nampa on Tuesday said both her parents, a sister (Guxas) who was a sergeant in the Namibian Defence Force (NDF) at Otjiwarongo and three nieces all had perished in that accident.
We will now lay them to rest at Outjo on Saturday, she said.
Nakare said that the remains of Musikarakuma, also an NDF soldier stationed at the Gobabis military base, will be buried in Gobabis on 25 January 2019.
Some NDF members were present at the memorial service on Tuesday at Otjiwarongo.