Tigers crash Citizens

11 Jan 2019 13:00pm
WINDHOEK, 11 JAN (NAMPA) – Tigers Football Club beat Citizens 3-1 in a Namibia Premier League (NPL) match played at the Sam Nujoma Stadium on Thursday.
Both teams struggled to assert their authority in the opening few minutes of the game, but home team Citizens were the first to settle and out-play their opponents in an inspiring first half.
Citizens started off very well creating several scoring chances, but their efforts were thwarted by David Petersen in goals for Tigers.
Tigers also threatened with a Stanley Llewelyn shot rebounding off a Citizens defender before Samba Philemon’s shot from the rebound was saved by captain Jonas Mathews late in the first half.
The teams went into the break tied at 0-0 but in the 58th minute, Tigers captain Rehabeam Mbange’s long ball behind the Citizens defence was misjudged by Atta Kwarteng and fell into substitute Muna Katupose.
The national team’s striker had the easiest task of lobbing the ball over the goalkeeper to make it 1-0 for Tigers.
With Citizens showing signs of fatigue, Tigers continued to pile on the pressure and were rewarded in the 74th minute when Terdius Uiseb ran into a pinpoint throughpass from Llewelyn on the right flank of his team’s attack.
He cut inside Citizens defender Filipus Geiseb before unleashing a powerful shot outside the 18 yard box, which beat Matheus all systems out to make it 2-0 for Tigers.
That goal seemed to have sucked the energy out of Citizens with most of their players seemingly struggling with the pace of the match.
They fell further behind to another Uiseb goal which was created by Mapenzi Muwanei.
The tall striker won possession deep in his own half before driving into the Citizens half, where he released Uiseb.
The former Orlando Pirates (Namibia) and Stellenbosch striker kept his calm to slot the ball under the arms of a badly exposed and on-rushing Matheus for his second goal and Tigers’ third in the 77th minute.
The result sees Citizens remain in third place after eight games, while Tigers temporarily move to position seven points until the conclusion of round eight of the NPL.