Security guards' strike put on hold

15 Dec 2013 19:20pm
WINDHOEK, 15 DEC (NAMPA) – The nationwide strike planned by security guards for Monday has been put on hold until Thursday.
The Namibia Security Guards and Watchmen Union (NSGWU)’s Secretary General David Frans told Nampa on Saturday the union has received a response from the Namibia Employers' Federation (NEF), which is acting on behalf of the security guards’ employers, but the response was rejected by the union executives.
He said the NEF told the union it will only be able to review the union members' demands on 29 January 2014, as some of the federation's members have already gone on leave for the festive break.
“We want them to make it clear to us on Monday that they will sit to review the minimum wage demands next year,” Frans said.
He added that the federation will be given 48 hours to respond on Monday, and if they fail to do so, the strike will commence.
The union has also asked that the NEF withdraw itself from the Namibia Security Labour Forum (NSLF), which is the bargaining forum for security guards. The security guards are demanding an increase of N. dollars 250 per day for entry-level employees who currently earn N.dollars 5 per shift.
The union also wants its members to have shorter working hours and better working conditions such as guard rooms and sanitation facilities.
It furthermore called for the removal of alleged salary deductions for guards who are found sleeping on duty; for being absent without leave; for transport allowances; as well as uniform deductions and bank charges.
Over 3 000 security guards in Windhoek alone plan to take part in the mass demonstration.
Frans has previously indicated that security guards at Okahandja and other nearby towns will join their colleagues in Windhoek, while Oshakati, Ondangwa and Oshikango will have one venue, and the coast and Kavango will follow suit.
(NAMPA)
ANS/AS