Committee once again calls for removal of Mbambo

13 Nov 2018 15:30pm
RUNDU, 13 NOV (NAMPA) – The committee that wants to remove Chief Erwin Munika Mbambo of the Hambukushu Traditional Authority from power is once again demanding that he step down.
The committee wrote a letter to Chief (Fumu) Mbambo and the Hambukushu Traditional Authority, saying they held a referendum on 07 November 2018 where more than 2 700 people voted in favour of having him removed from power.
The letter, seen by Nampa, was also copied to Minister of Urban and Rural Development, Peya Mushelenga and Kavango East Governor, Samuel Mbambo saying 2 921 people took part in the referendum.
It said 2 705 votes were in support of having Mbambo removed from power, while 222 were against such a move. The rest of the votes were spoiled.
The Hambukushu are accusing the chief of blocking development in their traditional area.
They also claim that he lacks the leadership acumen required by Hambukushu customs and values.
After trying to force the traditional leader out of power in December last year, the committee withdrew its position in January. No reasons were provided for the unconditional withdrawal.
Contacted for clarity on Tuesday, the committee’s chairperson, Casius Mukenah confirmed the authenticity of the letter, saying they approached the Ministry of Urban and Rural Development for advice and were advised to follow the Hambukushu customary laws, which they did.
“We even communicated with the traditional authority through a series of letters regarding the referendum, but they failed to respond to the letters,” he said.
Hambukushu senior headman, Erwin Disho when contacted on Monday said they did not receive any letters from the committee and thus cannot comment.
“We will only comment on the matter when we receive such a letter because we have not received it yet,” said Disho.
(NAMPA)
PM/AS/PS