Lab results in Valombola shooting case still outstanding

12 Nov 2018 16:20pm
WINDHOEK, 12 NOV (NAMPA) – Forensic laboratory results in the case of a refugee commissioner arrested for culpable homicide following the death of a young man shot during a road rage incident in Katutura in May this year, are still outstanding.
In addition, a photo plan and sketch plan in respect of the case are also still outstanding.
The 53-year-old Likius Valombola, who is the commissioner for refugees in the Ministry of Home Affairs and Immigration, re-appeared in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court on Monday when his alleged shooting and wounding case was postponed to 21 January 2019. This is to allow the police investigating team to obtain the laboratory results from the National Forensic Science Institute as well as to finish compiling the photo and sketch plans of the case.
Monday’s postponement was made a final remand to allow the police to obtain the outstanding material.
Valombola is also expected to enter his preliminary pleas to the charges against him on 21 January 2019 in terms of Section 119 of the Criminal Procedures Act of 1977.
Valombola re-appeared before Windhoek Magistrate Atutala Shikalepo in the presence of his privately-instructed defence lawyer Ndeli Ndaitwah.
He is free on bail of N.dollars 15 000 granted upon the conclusion of his formal bail application on 31 May 2018, which he brought before court on 28 May 2018.
At the time, Windhoek Magistrate Antonius Shapumba ordered his release after the prosecution presented poor and contradictory evidence against the granting of bail.
The bail was granted with the condition that Valombola informs the Windhoek police whenever he intends to leave the district of Windhoek.
He is accused of shooting and wounding Helao Ndjaba on the night of 20 May 2018 during a heated argument in the Ombili residential area of Katutura.
The 25-year-old Ndjaba was shot once in the forehead with a pistol and succumbed to his injuries at the Katutura State Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit on 28 May 2018.
Initially, Valombola was unprocedurally released from custody on 20 May after he only spent four hours in the holding cells of the Wanaheda Police Station.
He was then re-arrested on 23 May 2018 while on an official mission in the Kunene Region and brought back to Windhoek for his first court appearance on 28 May.
Valombola is also facing charges of negligent discharge of a firearm while in a public place.
Public Prosecutor Pieter Johannes Smit represented the State on Monday.