Demonstrators fail to hand over petition to //Kharas governor

10 Nov 2018 10:10am
KEETMANSHOOP, 10 NOV (NAMPA) – Nearly 80 Keetmanshoop residents on Friday staged a peaceful demonstration over unemployment amongst the youth, but failed to hand over their petition to //Kharas Governor Lucia Basson as planned.
Nampa understands Basson was in Windhoek, attending meetings.
The group refused to hand over the petition to Basson’s special advisor, Alfred Dax and demanded to see the governor.
The spokesperson of the group, Maxie Minnaar told Nampa they had written a letter to the governor’s office explaining that they wished to hand over their petition on Friday, but they did not get a response.
“They did not reply and that is why we are angry,” she said.
Dax confirmed that they received the letter.
“I do have a copy of it but unfortunately, we did not inform that the governor will not be in,” he said.
Minnaar said they have now agreed that the petition will be officially handed over to Basson on Monday.
The residents at a community meeting earlier this week agreed to stage a peaceful demonstration over unemployed youth at the town and in the region.
They expressed disappointment that people from other regions are being employed in the South while the people here are unemployed.
Residents are also unhappy about the government employing ‘struggle kids’ in the region despite reports that there is no money and that new government posts would be frozen.
(NAMPA)
ST/AS/PS