High Court reduces double murder convict term to 37 years

19 Oct 2018 14:30pm
WINDHOEK, 19 OCT (NAMPA) – The High Court on Friday reduced the sentence of a truck driver who is serving a custodial term of 63 years in connection with the 2009 killing of a mother and her daughter in the Ovitoto communal area.
Julius ‘Namab’ Dausab, 50, was on 03 April 2017 sentenced to a total of 63 years for killing his girlfriend, Paulina Kenamuni, 28, and her mother, Elfrieda Kenamuni, 44, by shooting them with a hunting rifle at the Okandjira Post near Okahandja in the Otjozondjupa Region on 03 June 2009.
Dausab’s long prison sentence was reduced to 37 years in a judgement handed down by High Court Judge Alfred Siboleka, following a successful appeal against the sentence.
Siboleka reduced Dausab's long prison term because the court was in agreement with the appellant's arguments that the sentence was too heavy compared to other sentences imposed in similar criminal cases.
Furthermore, the judge came to the conclusion that the initial term did not afford Dauseb a chance to reform and to become a productive member of the society upon the completion of serving the punishment.
Meanwhile, Dausab’s other application to be allowed leave to appeal against his convictions in respect of the two charges of murder was dismissed by the court.
As a result, Dausab, through his State-funded defence lawyer Mbanga Siyomuinji, said he will petition the Supreme Court in the next few weeks in order to be allowed leave to appeal against the conviction.
On the first count of murder with intent to kill in respect of the death of his late girlfriend, Dausab was sentenced to 38 years. He also received a 25 year custodial term on the second count of murder in respect of the death of his girlfriend’s mother.
On the last two counts of illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, Dausab was sentenced to two years imprisonment on each count, a sentence that was expected to run concurrently with the sentence for the first murder conviction.
Dausab was also declared unfit to possess a firearm for a period of two years from the date of the finalisation of serving his sentence.
He is a first-time offender.
State Advocate Eric Moyo represented the prosecution on Friday.