Key suspect in Usakos farmer killing is re-arrested

18 Oct 2018 14:50pm
WINDHOEK, 18 OCT (NAMPA) - Dion Haraseb, the main suspect in the murder of Usakos farmer, Willem de Klerk, in October 2015 has been re-arrested.
State Advocate Martino Olivier confirmed this in court on Thursday, saying that Haraseb, who has been on the run since 23 August 2018, was apprehended by the police over the past few weeks in the area of Karibib and Usakos in the Erongo Region, where he had been hiding.
He is now in police custody.
Haraseb, 34, was on Thursday scheduled to make another appearance before High Court Judge Christie Liebenberg during a pre-trial conference of case management review in respect of his murder case, but the police was not able to bring him back to Windhoek on time.
Haraseb's government-sponsored defence lawyer, Ileni Gebhardt, also confirmed the re-arrest of her client before court on Thursday.
A warrant for Haraseb's immediate arrest was issued on 23 August 2018 following his disappearance and his bail of N.dollars 1 000 was also cancelled and forfeited to State coffers that day.
The case was again Thursday postponed to 22 November 2018 to allow the police time to bring Haraseb to court.
Haraseb's co-accused persons, Karel Claasen, 23, and his girlfriend Zelda Harases (age not provided), were both present before court on Thursday with their State-funded defence lawyers, Mese Tjituri and Mbanga Siyomuinji.
The trio faces counts of housebreaking with intent to steal; theft of a motor vehicle and being in possession of stolen property.
Haraseb alone faces additional charges of murder and malicious damage to property in respect of the circumstances that led to the 71-year-old farmer's death.
The three accused were all employees on De Klerk's farm, Villa Rosa, located some 47 kilometres from Usakos in the Erongo Region.
De Klerk, who lived alone after his wife died earlier in 2015, was shot twice with his own firearm which the accused had stolen from his vehicle.
After the murder, the accused hid his body in an old water tank and then broke into his house, stole some of his belongings and loaded it into the truck.
The loot included two rifles, gas bottles, clothes, lamb and karakul skins, food, a digital camera and cash.
They drove off with the truck, but it broke down between Usakos and Karibib.
The three accused abandoned the truck and hitchhiked to Windhoek and Swakopmund, where they were arrested.
All stolen items, except for some of the money, were recovered by the police.
Claasen is free on bail, while Harases is free on a warning.