Diergaardt shooter an ex-convict

08 Dec 2013 15:40pm
WINDHOEK, 08 DEC (NAMPA) - The man accused of shooting the 19-year-old Eleanor Diergaardt before turning the gun on himself in Windhoek, was recently released from prison after serving a two-year term.
The Namibian Police revealed to Nampa on Friday that Diergaardt's stepfather, Fernando Joas, was convicted after being found in possession of drugs. He was released from prison in August.
The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)'s Khomas Regional Crime Investigations Co-ordinator, Deputy Commissioner Sylvanus Nghishidimbwa said in an interview Joas was arrested after the police intercepted him when he went to collect 7.1 kilogrammes of cannabis valued at N.dollars 21 300 from a courier.
He was sentenced to three years in prison of which one year was suspended.
“When the police tried to raid his house before he was arrested in 2010, he made it difficult for us. He had been involved in drugs,” Nghishidimbwa said.
The crime investigations co-ordinator could not say whether the firearm used in last month’s shooting incident belonged to Joas.
“As far as finding out who the owner of the firearm is, we will have a breakthrough if it is a Namibian-registered firearm,” he indicated, adding that the incident is regrettable because a young girl lost her life.
Diergaardt was shot in the head by an enraged Joas on 21 November 2013 and was rushed to the Katutura State Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries on 25 November.
The 30-year-old Joas then shot himself with the same pistol, and died on the spot.
(NAMPA)
AS/AS