Alleged double killer Nicodemus now fighting for bail

26 Sep 2018 16:40pm
WINDHOEK, 26 SEP (NAMPA) - A Windhoek resident accused of killing two women and burning their bodies at a dump site in the capital in January 2016, is now fighting to be released on bail.
The 48-year-old Lukas Nepela Nicodemus has been in police custody at the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility's trial-awaiting section since his arrest in January 2016 with no option to post bail after the prosecution opposed the granting of bail on several occasions because of the seriousness of the offences he is accused of committing.
However, Nicodemus was on Wednesday allowed to bring a formal bail application in the High Court as per an agreement reached by his State-funded defence lawyer Mbanga Siyomuinji and prosecution representative, State Advocate Cliff Lutibezi.
The hearing of Nicodemus's intended bail bid is set to start before High Court Judge Christie Liebenberg next Wednesday.
The bail hearing will run for two days.
Earlier this year, Nicodemus terminated Milton Engelbrecht's legal services, claiming that the lawyer was not willing to bring a formal bail application in the High Court.
Engelbrecht was fired just as he was about to make arrangements to visit the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility's trial-awaiting holding cells for proper consultations on the trial with Nicodemus.
The State alleges that during the period of 06 and 07 January 2016, Nicodemus intentionally and unlawfully killed Johanie Naruses, 29, and Clemensia de Wee, 23.
The two victims' partially burnt corpses were discovered at a dump site near Pionierspark in Windhoek by a security guard who was working in the area.
Nicodemus's black sedan was later found by police abandoned at an unnamed location.
The car is believed to have been used in the transportation of the bodies of the two women, as police found bloodstains in it.
The State further alleges the victims' remains were burned in an attempt to conceal the crime.
Nicodemus, who faces two charges of murder and a charge of obstructing the course of justice, has denied committing the offences when he entered his preliminary not guilty pleas to the charges against him in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court.
He also underwent a 30-day psychiatric evaluation in August 2017, and was found to be fit to stand trial and understand court proceedings.