Gardener’s trial over pensioner death set for 2019

26 Sep 2018 14:00pm
WINDHOEK, 26 SEP (NAMPA) – The trial of a man who confessed to killing a 78-year-old pensioner at his house in Swakopmund in August 2017, will begin in the High Court here in June next year.
The murder trial is set to kick off before High Court Judge Dinah Usiku on 10 June 2019 at the High Court building located at the premises of the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility.
The trial will run until 21 June 2019.
The date for the start of the trial was decided upon when alleged killer Unaaro Mbemukenga, 26, made another appearance before High Court Judge Christie Liebenberg on Wednesday during a pre-trial conference of case management review.
The trial date was decided upon in an agreement reached by Mbemukenga’s government-funded defence lawyer Mbanga Siyomuinji and State Advocate Cliff Lutibezi in court.
Mbemukenga, on trial for the murder of the elderly Swakopmund resident Manfred Karel Hartmann, had allegedly confessed to committing the offence when he made his second appearance in the Swakopmund Magistrate’s Court on 15 November 2017.
A summary of substantial facts contained in the charge sheet suggests that Mbemukenga, who was employed as a gardener for about two months by the deceased, allegedly robbed and killed the pensioner by beating him with a brick on the head and then tying his hands behind his back at the victim’s house on 17 August 2017.
Hartmann’s lifeless body was discovered the next day in the outside bathroom of his house, after Mbemukenga’s girlfriend got worried when the accused did not return home from work.
It is alleged that the girlfriend, with a group of police officers, then went to Hartmann’s house to search for Mbemukenga, only to discover Hartmann’s body.
After committing the murder, Mbemukenga allegedly fled the scene to Outjo, where he was shot and wounded by police officers while reportedly resisting arrest, before spending a month in the Katutura State Hospital in Windhoek under heavy police guard.
During his second appearance in the Swakopmund Magistrate’s Court in November 2017, he told the court he fully understands the reasons why he was arrested and that was because he killed someone.
He remains in police custody at the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility with no option to post bail.