Land statistics booklet to form part of second land conference

13 Sep 2018 15:40pm
WINDHOEK, 13 SEP (NAMPA) - The Namibia land statistics booklet compiled by the Namibia Statistics Agency (NSA) will form part of the second National Land Conference slated for next month.
The booklet came under review during the 2018 Namibia Land Statistics Symposium Programme held here on Thursday.
Speaking during the opening of the one-day symposium, NSA board chairperson, John Steytler said the country is seized with the land question as it moves towards the land conference and the role of statistics is critical in informing the land debate.
“We need to account for every inch of the country, including our land mass and sea, amidst the changing conditions,” Steytler said.
He noted that statistics such as land tenure use, productivity, and ownership should be timely and readily accessible for decision-making at all times in order to be relevant for socio-economic planning and development.
Meanwhile, NSA statistician-general and chief executive officer, Alex Shimuafeni said the aim of collecting the statistics was to compile them and develop a national land statistics booklet, to highlight available statistics in the national land databases.
The 46-page booklet will be used as a guide at the land conference.
According to the statistics published in the draft booklet, 12 382 commercial farms and portions of farms in Namibia account for 39.7 million hectares, of which 97,7 per cent is owned by Namibians.
About 34 million hectares (86 per cent) of land is privately owned, while Government owns the remaining 5.4 million hectares (14 per cent) of land.
Previously advantaged Namibians own 27.8 million hectares (70 per cent) of freehold agricultural land, while previously disadvantaged Namibians own 6.4 million hectares (16 per cent).
Non-Namibians own 1.2 million hectares (three per cent) of land, the report said.
(NAMPA)
ANS/AS/PS