Former PLAN fighters bemoan grant stoppage

29 Aug 2018 18:10pm
WINDHOEK, 29 AUG (NAMPA) – A group of more than 15 former People’s Liberation Army of Namibia (PLAN) fighters paid a visit to the Permanent Secretary (PS) of the Ministry of Veterans Affairs, Abraham Iilonga here Wednesday.
During their meeting, the group claimed that their monthly veterans grant benefit of N.dolllars 2 200 was stopped unannounced and demanded its reinstatement.
They said their monthly salary alone cannot sustain them and insisted that “the law that took the grant” be changed.
This has also led to them running into debt, they said, adding that property they acquired through credit were repossessed because of their inability to pay for these.
Some of them stopped receiving the grants since 2015, while for others, the grant was suspended in April last year without notification.
In response, the PS explained that the Veterans Act 2 of 2008 state that any veteran with a salary amounting to N.dollars 36 000 per year is not allowed to get that money until such time they retire or are medically boarded.
However, said Iilonga, the ministry is trying its best to deal with the issue, but cannot assure whether the Act will be amended to benefit them.
He further informed the group that it will take long for the issue to reach the National Assembly as there are stages to be followed.
(NAMPA)
ES/EK/PS