03 Dec 2013 19:20pm
ATTENTION CORRECTION: Story changes man in intro to men
KEETMANSHOOP, 03 DEC (NAMPA) - Three men accused of starting a fire at the typists office at Keetmanshoop Magistrates Court appeared before the same court on Tuesday.
They are Isak Ndeulita Naukosho, 40; Joseph Kudumo Amutenya, 29; and the 32-year-old Chifundo Alick Phiri, 32.
The trio faces charges of arson and obstruction of justice in connection with the incident which occurred on 05 November this year.
Fortunately, no valuable documents or police dockets were destroyed in the blaze.
They were not asked to plead and were remanded in custody. Their case was postponed to 13 January 2014 to allow for further police investigations.
The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)s //Karas Regional Commander, Commissioner Armas Shivute on Tuesday said it is suspected that Amutenya and Phiri were hired by Naukosho to burn down the office in an effort to destroy police dockets dealing with a case in which he faced a charge of theft for allegedly stealing a diamond.
He was sentenced to five years imprisonment or a fine of N.dollars 100 000 in Keetmanshoop on 06 November 2013, a day after the office was set on fire.
This news agency reported on Monday that his sentence was wholly suspended on condition that he does not commit the same offence within five years.
The police on Tuesday however said Naukosho managed to settle his bail money in November and was released from custody.
Last month, the police reported that one of the suspects might have sustained injuries while they set fire to the office.
Wounds which appear to have been caused by a fire could be seen on Phiris right hand, neck and ears when he appeared in court on Tuesday.
Shivute noted that a fourth suspect who is on the run will soon be arrested.
Magistrate Philanda Blockstein-Christiaan heard the case of the three suspected arsonists, with Principal Legal Officer Peter Smit representing the State.