Mariental’s accused serial rapist wants to plead guilty

23 Aug 2018 14:10pm

A 34-year-old Mariental man accused of going on a spree of rapes and murders has finally chosen to do the “honorable thing” and opted not to waste the court’s time by pleading guilty to charges levelled against him.

Gerold Hennly Matlata’s case has thus been pushed to the 5th of September whereupon a date of plea would be determined. 

Matlata made a first-time court appearance for allegedly unlawfully and intentionally killing Debora Snyman during the period between 18-19 September in 2015 in Mariental.

It is the state’s case that Matlata did unlawfully and intentionally break into the residence of the accused with the intent to rape her by applying physical force and threats.

The state further alleges that the accused, after the act, stole the deceased’s handbag.

She deceased was inside her residence at erf 525 in Tulbach Street Mariental.

Matlata is in for a court grilling for a separate count in which he is accused of assaulting another woman, Elizabeth Maria van der Merwe, covering her head with a piece of cloth, strangling and beating her in an attempt to cut her life short.

This incident happened between the 7th and 8th of February in 2013 after the accused had again broken into his victim’s house before allegedly forcefully raping her with threats.

Again, Matlata stole his victim’s handbag valued at N$900, together with N$100 000 in cash, two cheque books, a purse valued at N$500, sunglasses, credit cards, lipstick and a driving licence.

The state alleges that this transpired during evening hours while the victim was alone at Erf 530 Aub Street in Mariental.

Between 29-30 of June 2012, it is the state’s case that the accused assaulted another woman, Line van der Westhuizen in Mariental by strangling, kicking and beating her with a glass bottle in an attempt to murder her.

This was after he had broken into her house and forcefully raped her and later took off with a packet of cigarettes, the state alleges.

All this is said to have happened during evening hours when the victim was asleep at her residence at the FNB flats.