02 Dec 2013 19:20pm
OTJIWARONGO, 02 DEC (NAMPA) The four alleged armed robbers involved in a shoot-out with members of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) near Windhoek on Saturday morning, are expected to appear in court on Tuesday.
NamPols Otjozondjupa Regional Public Relations Officer, Sergeant Maureen Mbeha told Nampa in an interview late on Monday afternoon that the four suspects will appear in the Katutura Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
She said the four alleged armed robbers have been identified and have cases of armed robbery and housebreaking in the Otjozondjupa and Khomas Regions pending against them.
They are aged between 23 and 45 years old, and one of them is an operational manager at a local security company in Otjiwarongo, Mbeha said.
It is alleged that the robbers had earlier on Saturday stolen a safe from the offices of Namibia Protection Services (NPS) in Otjiwarongo before they fled in the direction of Okahandja in an NPS company pick-up.
According to the Otjozondjupa Police Regional Commander, Commissioner Joseph Anghuwo the four alleged armed robbers broke into the NPS offices where money was kept for safe-keeping at around 04h30.
It is alleged the offices of NPS were not guarded when the robbery took place.
The break-in at NPS was reported to us immediately, and we alerted other nearby police stations, explained Anghuwo.
About 30 kilometres outside Windhoek, a team of armed police officers ambushed the alleged robbers as they approached the roadblock the police had set up to target them.
The alleged robbers were now driving in a Volkswagen Jetta after they had gotten rid of the NPS vehicle in the bushes between Okahandja and Windhoek.
As they approached the police road block set up to target them, they fired at the police.
My police officers were prepared for this type of occurrence, and they responded with heavy gunfire, the regional commander noted.
It is during this exchange of gunfire that two of the alleged robbers were wounded one was shot in the hip and the other in the neck.
The two injured men have been admitted to the Windhoek Central Hospital, while the other two are being detained in the citys police stations holding cells.
Meanwhile, it is suspected that three of the now-arrested suspects also participated in the assault of 66-year-old farmer Helmut Goldbeck, who was tortured at his farm Orumbo in the Omitara area last week.
Anghuwo urged community members to continue working with the police force in reporting the suspicious movements of thieves during the festive season.
The Otjozondjupa Regional Crime Investigations Co-ordinator, Deputy Commissioner Moses Khairabeb said on Monday that the safe which was stolen from the NPS offices has been recovered.
It contained N.dollars 326 000.
More than N.dollars 100 000 in cash was burnt to ashes inside the safe after the alleged robbers used a cutting torch to open it.
About N.dollars 199 000 was counted at the Otjiwarongo police station on Monday in Khairabebs presence, and returned to the owners - Metro.
He explained that NPS is responsible for the safekeeping and banking of Metro Otjiwarongos money.
Police investigations into the matter continue.