Swakopmund mother admits to killing daughter

13 Aug 2018 15:50pm
WINDHOEK, 13 AUG (NAMPA) - A Swakopmund mother on trial in the High Court for killing her two-year-old daughter along the Henties Bay-Terrace Bay road in 2016, has admitted to committing the murder.
Zenobia Seas, 35, admitted to smothering her daughter, the two-year-old Ava Antoinette Owoses, with a blanket on 26 September 2016.
Seas entered guilty pleas to the charges of murder and attempting to obstruct the course of justice at the start of her trial before High Court Judge Christie Liebenberg Monday morning.
She told the court she had no intention to kill her child, but anger, frustration, verbal assaults and other related ill-treatment by the father of the deceased - Immanuel Owoseb - had forced her to commit the offence.
Seas confirmed before court that she had initially planned to end both Ava's life and her own, but the attempt to kill herself backfired when members of the Henties Bay neighbourhood watch arrived at the scene and removed her from the vehicle.
She told the court she entered the guilty pleas on her own free will and was not influenced by any person or persons to admit to committing the murder offence.
“I am fully aware that what I did to my child was unlawful. I was heartbroken and destroyed from the inside. I became very emotional at the time of the incident. I am very sorry that the child lost her life as a result of my unlawful actions,” said Seas, who cried uncontrollably while testifying.
She made her admissions as per the instructions she gave her government-funded defence lawyer, Mposikeng Dube.
Seas, who was employed at Husab Mine at the time of the incident, allegedly drove from Swakopmund with her daughter to about 112 kilometres northwest of Henties Bay, where she killed the toddler.
After suffocating the child, Seas put firewood under her vehicle in an effort to burn herself and the toddler’s body inside the car.
The wood had, however, not caught fire when the members of the neighbourhood watch and police arrived at the scene and arrested her.
Seas is being held in custody at the Klein Windhoek Police Station and returns to court on Tuesday for the submissions of pre-sentencing evidence.
Her trial is being dealt with by the court in terms of the strict provisions of the Combating of Domestic Violence Act of 2003, which warrants heavy punishment upon conviction.